Gallery

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Harry Potter and the Bespoke Trainers


My eldest daughter loves Harry Potter so it made perfect sense that one of my custom sneaker projects would be based on this popular franchise.  You might also be wondering, "what's up with the title of this post?"  Let me quickly explain.

Bespoke is an adjective for anything commissioned to a particular specification. It may be altered or tailored to the customs, tastes, or usage of an individual purchaser.

Trainer is a term for shoes or sneakers commonly used in the UK.

Now previous to this project, I had never worked with acrylic paints on shoes.  My Ghibli and Star Wars projects used Sharpie markers and Fabricolor pens respectively but I wanted to see how well acrylic paints were for customizing shoes, ehem, I mean trainers.

I was planning on just using a cheap set of paints but my wife convinced me to try a better brand of paints which led me to trying and loving Liquitex acrylic paints.  The paints are easy to mix and they adhere to the canvas material of shoes really well.


Since I had nice paints, it was only logical to invest in a good set of brushes.  After maybe an hour at one of the coolest art supplies stores in all of Japan (Central), I settled on a brand appropriately named Van Gogh.  I got a number of brush tips but my go-to brush is a square 1/8 tip.  I had really good control with this brush which is vital when working with details.


In the end, I consider this project a small success since the paint didn't crack or fade even after a long day of wear by my little lady (and abuse by her younger siblings).  This quickly led to a commission with a similar theme.  You can see pictures of both projects HERE or by checking out my Gallery and selecting Custom Sneakers II.


Till my next post, thanks everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment